TalkingPoints (talkingpts.org) is an award-winning education technology non-profit on a mission to make it easy for any parent to be engaged in their children’s education, especially in low-income, diverse communities. Parent engagement can drive student success twice as much as a family’s socioeconomic status, yet underserved, diverse families struggle to get involved. We help teachers and parents build relationships, shift mindsets, create communities and understand what effective parent engagement looks like so that students can be better supported in their learning. We’re building a one-of-a-kind product in the market – a multilingual family engagement platform with AI and human-powered two-way translation, and personalized coaching content.
Thousands of teachers are using TalkingPoints in their classrooms, and school and districts across the U.S. are using TalkingPoints for Schools and Districts in their school systems. We’re on track to reach millions of students and their families by 2020 – TalkingPoints is solving a real problem. We have won awards from MIT, Google.org, Ashoka, Forbes and are backed by AT&T, Google, Comcast NBCUniversal, NewSchools Venture Fund, General Motors and Stanford University, to name a few. Learn more.
As our dedicated product lead, you’ll have the unique opportunity to take a mission critical leadership role in the inflection point of our organization to take our product to the next level. what we call TalkingPoints 2.0! You’ll be working closely with a small but supercharged, tightly knit, mission-driven team, to lead all areas of product to drive impact in a fast-paced, ‘scrappy’ and experimental environment. You’ll own, drive and deliver our product roadmap leading a team of engineers, and take on difficult, ambiguous problems where the solution is not clear but will be really excited to solve them. You’ll be action-oriented, with a delightful, creative, and out of the box approach. You’ll be excited by digging deep with empathy with our diverse user needs, and you’ll balance big, bold ideas with technical feasibility, and will continuously prototype and experiment with MVPs to drive impact.
Diversity: we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it!
Who you are
- Prior experience in managing software products, independently leading a team,ideally consumer products from design to launch to iteration
- Analytical and empathetic: able to infer user needs and draw out insights from conducting research, while approaching problems and solutions using data
- Strategic leadership: able to understand, solve and execute on organization-level problems while reaching for big, bold goals
- Strong team-player: we work as a small, tightly-knit team and you should be self-starting and motivated to build things
- Scrappy, experimental and excited about a fast-paced startup environment
- Strong commitment to our mission and using technology to make a difference
- Experience in education or empathy with communities we serve (e.g., underserved populations, education, immigration, bilingual and/or multicultural environments)
- Experience with NLP and machine learning
What we offer
- An incredible opportunity to build a mission-driven, rapidly growing startup tech nonprofit
- Competitive salary, full coverage health insurance, benefits, and unlimited vacation
- Casual and flexible work environment central San Francisco location with easy access to public transportation
- Fun, smart, dynamic, motivated team focused on working together to transform family engagement to serve the families who need it most